Silver Bay Marina


Kelly O'Brien Beaster Art

Natural images full of color, shape, and texture have always captivated me, and my artwork attempts to recreate these personal responses. I picked up an ink pen with the intent to challenge myself, make quicker decisions in a more permanent medium, but unexpectedly, a new style emerged. These drawings highlight the surreal within our everyday world, the way sunlight transforms rock into a glowing animal or water can hold secrets.

The pen allows for little error in technical rendering but also forces a trust and confidence in myself to recognize when an image is successful. I am only satisfied with a drawing when my eye is carried from one corner to the next, focusing on intricate details. The piece feels almost interactive. Has something been hidden in the shadows? If I listen closely enough, will the bubbling pool tell me what I know it is hiding from me?

These images not only celebrate the beauty of the Lake Superior area but hopefully provoke memories within the viewers’ minds of their own quiet oasis.

Popular Posts